Thursday 30th November

U16 Girls Div 1
Glantine 2-2 Askeaton/Kilcornan AFC
(HT 2-2)
Under 16 girls played the best match of the season on Thursday evening back in a very cold Templeglantine.
The girls dominated throughout the game and Aoibheann O’ Donoghue opened the scoring followed by a second goal from Caoimhe Gammell and the score was 2-2 at half-time. Unfortunately that was the final result, however the result did not reflect the effort the girls put in. Full time result was draw game, the girls played with great spirit and are a much improving team as the season progresses.

Limerick Desmond Youths Cup Quarter Final
Newcastle West Town 1-0 Askeaton/Kilcornan
(HT 1-0)
Having drew twice against Newcastle West previously this season this was always going to be a tight game. Newcastle went one up in the first half and although we had some good chances and shots on target we just couldn’t find the net.

Saturday 2nd December

U12 Girls Div 1
Askeaton/Kilcornan 0-2 Broadford Utd
(HT 0-0)
Our U12 girls suffered a 2-0 defeat at the hands of top of the table Broadford United. The game was 0-0 at HT with our girls soaking up a bit of pressure from the away side. We conceded 5 minutes into the 2nd half but their goal seemed to bring life into us. In the next 20 mins we hit the post 3 times and 2 efforts narrowly going wide. While going in search of the equaliser, Broadford caught us on the break with their 2nd goal and last kick of the game. Girls deserve great credit, mixing it with probably the best team in the league. Again work rate and team work was fantastic, couldnt ask for any more.

U15 Boys Cup Preliminary Round 2
Feenagh v Askeaton/Kilcornan AFC (off, pitch unplayable)

Youths Division 1 Semi Final 1st Leg
Askeaton/Kilcornan AFC 6-1 Abbeyfeale Utd
(HT 2-0)
Zach Birdthistle (3)
John Connors (2)
Sambulo Ngubane
A great save from Cathal Guerin denied Abbeyfeale from taking the lead, Sambulo opened the scoring, when a cross landed at his feet from 12 yards, Zack Birdthistle doubled the lead just before half time.
Zack got his second of the afternoon when he scored a fantastic scorpion back heal direct from a corner kick (3-0),
Zack completed his hat trick when he went on a run beating the defender with a flick and rounding the keeper to slot home (4-0). Abbeyfeale pulled one back with a 30 yard cracker straight into top corner moments later, John Connors got his first less than 5 minutes from coming on from a rebounded save from the opposing keeper. John completed the goals from a quick throw in that sent him one on one and made no mistake, full time 6-1. Great team effort overall and especially Conor McNamara and Cathal Guerin who kept us ahead throughout the game with great defending and saves.

Match Report (Game last Sunday 26th November)
Drinagh Rangers 1-3 Askeaton/Kilcornan AFC
(HT 0-0)
On Sunday, our A team made the 2 and a half hour journey to play Drinagh Rangers down in Cork in the 4th round of the FAI cup. Full credit to our very welcoming hosts who had the pitch and facilities in great order for the game. Right from the whistle, our lads went to work, setting a really high tempo both in and out of possession. Kevin O’Keeffe and Sean Whelan linked up brilliantly in the early stages and created many chances down the right wing. Whelan was a constant thorn in the defences side, and had a well struck shot just go over the bar inside the first 15 minutes. Our back 5 of Paudie Ivess, Kevin O’Keeffe, John McCarthy, Alan Ryan and Kevin Barry were very well organised and dealt extremely well with any pressure from a well drilled Drinagh side. Throughout the first half, we continued to probe down the wings and overload in attacking areas. Kevin Barry and Kevin O’Keeffe were a constant threat as they overlapped and linked up with Patrick Ivess and Sean Whelan. The constant pressure in the middle from Ray Kelly, Steve Smith and Sam Duggan led to other goal chances but we were unable to find a finish. We went in at half time scoreless, but happy with our work and confident we could break the deadlock in the second half.
We started brightly in the second half. John McCarthy was in dominant form and neutralised any aerial threats into our box. Ray Kelly once again gave another masterclass in the holding midfielder role. He was a constant option for our full backs and continued to move the ball with pace as we pushed for an opener. Thankfully the deadlock was broken inside 50 minutes with fantastic build up play down the right side. A string of first time passes resulted in great cross into the box from Sean Whelan and the Drinagh center half touched it into his own net under pressure from Sam Duggan. The call went up for continued pressure from our lads and to push for the second. Ken O’Donoghue led by example and continued to cover every blade of grass in Drinagh. His work rate and physicality was unmatched and Drinagh began to struggle with his endless runs and pressure. At the 55 minute mark, Ken stood over a free well outside the Drinagh box. A beautiful left footed strike struck the underside of the crossbar and onto the line where a determined Sam Duggan was there to pounce and give us a 2 nil lead. Drinagh to their credit never gave up and continued to battle hard. A soft free was given against us at 65 minute mark and a dangerous ball somehow found its way into the net to make it 2-1. Yet again, our lads showed great attitude and character in how they responded. Fresh legs were introduced in Matt Moane and Niall Barry as we headed into the final 10 minutes. Our continued pressure and hard work paid off. The ball broke to Ken following some great work from Patrick Ivess on the left and Ken delivered a lovely low ball across the box where it was tapped in to make it 3-1. The final whistle blew and Askeaton/Kilcornan now progress to the final 32 of the FAI cup in a historic day for the club.
Many thanks to Drinagh Rangers for the game and hospitality afterwards. We wish them the very best in their league and all competitions. Also, a big thank you to our travelling supporters who made the long journey and braved the elements to support the lads. It’s much appreciated and doesn’t go unnoticed.

Askeaton/Kilcornan Club Shop is now open for orders

Photo: Saul Birdthistle on behalf of Jimmy Walsh being presented with last weeks Split the Pot winnings from Norman Birdthistle.

Our Split the Pot draw was held Tuesday, November 28th in Askeaton clubhouse. The winner of €127 was Tom Corrigan.
Split the Pot is our weekly fundraiser for Askeaton Kilcornan AFC. You can enter by writing your name and contact number on the envelope and place your €2 into the envelope. The envelope should be placed into one of the buckets located in SuperValu, Centra, Top of the Town Bar, Cagney’s Bar, Shanahan’s Shop, Boss Barbers, Brian Collins Bookmakers, Moran’s Hardware, Askeaton Soccer Pitch. You can also enter online at The draw is held every Tuesday evening. Half of the money entered into the draw is given in prize money and the other half goes towards funding activities for our club. We thank you all for your continued support of this fundraising initiative, it is very much appreciated.

This weeks Bonus Ball winning number is 12 so
Winner in Draw 1: Laura O’ Donoghue
Winner in Draw 2: Ann Marie Braddish
Congratulations to you both.

Friday 15th December in the Top of the Town Bar 💃🕺