Askeaton AFC

Est. 1953

History of the Club:

Askeaton AFC is a soccer club based in County Limerick. The first committee of Askeaton AFC was formed on the 10th November 1953 in the local library with the following officers elected: Chairman: Thomas Fitzgerald, Vice-Chairman: Garda John Kelly, Secretary: Michael Mulcair, Treasurer: Michael ‘Broker’ O’ Shaughnessy, Captain: Paddy Fitzgerald, Vice-Captain: Seamus Murphy, Committee: Pat J Sheehy, Michael Collins, John Culhane, Bill Feheney, Bill Cunnane. The local rugby club donated a set of their own red and black coloured jerseys to the new soccer club. The club continue to wear red and black to this present day. The first game was played in 1954 against Newcastlewest at Purtill’s field in Church Street. Ternie Moran is credited with scoring the club’s first ever goal.

Askeaton AFC has had numerous homes throughout the years:

  • Purtill’s field, which is now the Super Valu carpark,
  • O’Donoghue’s field, just on the left as you leave the town for Foynes,
  • O’Grady’s field, very near the existing pitch until the bypass dissected it,
  • St. Francis Ave, also rented from O’Grady’s for numerous years until 2003
  • Pairc Eas Geitine, which we purchased 6.2 acres of land in Ballymore Askeaton. The club raised and invested €1.2 million at which is inclusive of land purchase, site clearance, facility construction and club development.

Club Aim/Goal: Our aim is to foster, develop and promote football for all ages, and including all genders.

In 2023 Askeaton AFC amalgamated with Kilcornan AFC to form Askeaton/Kilcornan AFC